Monday, September 13, 2010

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

One of the books I read over the summer was Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I really enjoyed this book. When I began reading the book, I got very frustrated at first. It seemed that all of the characters were idiotic and the book made no sense at all. After a few chapters, I began recognizing the humor behind the absurd way of how the military is presented.

I believe that this book is essentially an anti-war novel. This idea is presented in a humerous way. For example, in the militery, whatever is on paperwork is what all soldiers are to believe and trust and not question. In the book, a report after an airplane crash shows that Doc Deeneka is dead. But, he is still alive. So even though he is still walking around and talking to people, they ignore him because they are supposed to believe he is dead. Also, the high-ranked officials in the military don't really care about their men in this book, they just try to do things to look better in front of the generals so that they can achieve a higher rank.

Overall, this book is a very funny mockery of war that has an underlying theme of anti-war.

No comments:

Post a Comment